King County Parks, King County Metro, Seattle Department of Transportation, and Amazon are happy to announce that the Trailhead Direct service will be returning for 2023. Grab the hiking boots, leave the car!
The 2023 season will begin Saturday, May 13 and run through Labor Day, Monday, September 4. Service runs on weekends and holidays, which this year includes Memorial Day (Monday, May 29), Independence Day (Tuesday, July 4), and Labor Day (Monday, September 4).
This summer, Trailhead Direct continues to focus the transit-to-trails service on the most popular route, leaving from the Sound Transit Capitol Hill Link light rail station every 30 minutes with stops at the trailheads leading to Mount Si, Mount Teneriffe, and Little Si
Trailhead Direct launched in 2017 and provides a popular, eco-friendly way to get out of the city and explore the trails of King County. Since launching, passengers have used Trailhead Direct for more than 67,000 hikes, including 11,500 hikes in 2022.
To protect each other, the land, and delicate ecosystems, King County Parks encourages you to #RecreateResponsibly by taking these things into account when planning your Trailhead Direct adventure this summer:
- Plan ahead. Pack food and water and essentials such as hand sanitizer. Give yourself extra time to catch your return trip.
- Protect one another. If you’re feeling sick, please do not use Trailhead Direct or other transit modes.
- Play it safe. Stay within your limits to prevent burdening search and rescue teams and health care providers.
- Explore responsibly. Be mindful of where you’re choosing to take a trip and your impact on the communities you visit. Always keep pets on leash.
- Leave no trace. Stay on the trail. Respect the land and water, as well as Native and local communities. Pack out everything you bring with you, including trash and pet waste.
- Build an inclusive outdoors. Be an active part of making the outdoors safe and welcoming for people of all races, backgrounds, and abilities.
Construction this summer will impact the Trailhead Direct stops along Madison Street. Sign up to receive real-time text alerts about potential service disruptions.
Subscribe to our Trailhead Direct newsletter, and follow along on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram to stay in the loop on any additional updates. Here’s to a great season and see you on the trail!